If you’ve decided to get a cochlear implant through the best ent-cochlear implant surgery in Varanasi, congratulations! It’s a big step forward in terms of being able to connect with all of the sounds in your life. To help you get started, we’ve put together a list of resources you can use before getting your cochlear implant: before the surgery; after the surgery, for example, for device activation.
Before you have your cochlear implant surgery, there are a few things you should know.
Cochlear implantation is a straightforward procedure. In rare cases, you might leave the hospital the same day following your appointment with the best ent-cochlear implant surgeon in Varanasi. Here are a few things you may do to make your experience more relaxing and pleasurable.
- If you have a hearing aid, bring it with you. Make sure you’re always aware of its presence. While the nurses are preparing your bed, wear it or hide it somewhere safe. Do not store it in a napkin or handkerchief, since this may cause your hearing aid to be accidentally thrown out.
- If you’re taking any medications, let your doctor and medical team know ahead of time. This will ensure that your doctor uses the correct medications and anesthetics.
- Your surgeon will most likely give you guidelines on how to recover as quickly as possible after that. Details such as how long you should keep your bandage on, what activities you should and should not do, and other recovery-related information will be included.
- If your doctor tells you something important, make sure you repeat it back to them to make sure you understand it. Encourage them to repeat the information in a different way if you’re not sure or write it down for you if you’re not sure.
- Make a calendar of important hearings for the next month: when (and where) will you be activated? Will you need to follow up with your surgeon or audiologist before then?
- After that, you should focus on resting, healing, and relaxing. After all, it won’t be long before your hearing aid lets you hear again!
Before and after the procedure
Now is an excellent time to learn about the different aspects of hearing with a cochlear implant, such as the various professionals you’ll meet, the terminology and jargon you’ll hear them use, and the rehabilitation activities that will help you listen better.
Here are a few examples of specialists with whom you could collaborate:
Ear, Nose, and Throat Specialist (ENT):
If you have a cochlear implant, you’ve undoubtedly already met with an ENT expert. They’ll be the ones to check on you once you’ve been activated to see if you have any worries about the health of your hearing. The best ent-cochlear implant operation in Varanasi is performed at a popular hospital with all specialists in one location;
- Hearing Aid Specialists: Hearing therapists are experts that help with hearing exams, setting expectations, and some rehabilitation activities.
- Audiologist: An audiologist will enable your cochlear implant and will also help you with follow-up counseling, extra fittings, understanding your cochlear implant equipment, and some normal life rehabilitation.
- SLP/T (Speech and Language Pathologist/Therapist): An SLP/T can help you track your hearing improvement over time, assess your listening, speaking, and language needs, design and work on communication objectives with you, and answer any communication-related issues you may have. There are many other doctors that specialize in hearing and cochlear implants, and you can learn more about their roles in our blog post about hearing loss specialists.
- Activation of the Audio Processor After the Procedure: You’ll need to finish the final phase of this procedure after you’ve received your implant and returned home from the hospital. Now comes the wait; in most cases, the surface portion of the cochlear implant is installed after the internal piece has become a part of the body, so it can take anywhere from four to six months. It’s all about waiting and preparing for your cochlear implant to be activated. That’s when you’ll start hearing noises through the auditory processor, the external component of your cochlear implant. The time it takes for you to be activated varies by region, but it usually happens between 2 and 6 weeks after you leave the hospital after your surgery.
If you’re looking for the best ent-cochlear implant surgery in Varanasi, contact Popular, today.